Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Money in CR

The monetary system of Costa Rica is essentially single-unit based, with the unit of Costa Rican money being called the Costa Rican Colón. The names and relative values of the coins depicted at left are, from left to right:

* Five Colónes - (5 Colónes)
* Ten Colónes - (10 Colónes)
* Twenty-five Colónes - (25 Colónes)
* Fifty Colónes - (50 Colónes)
* One Hundred Colónes - (100 Colónes)
* Five Hundred Colónes - (500 Colónes)

The paper bills are very large numbers compared to American money: The exchange rate is approximately 550 Colones for every American Dollar. That means that for $20, I could get approx. 11,000 Colones; for $100, I would get 55,000 Colones. I've never had FIFTY THOUSAND of anything in my wallet until now!! My ice cream cone tonight cost 1350 Colones, or a little more than $2... ($3 X 550 Colones = 1650 Colones).

8 comments:

  1. Nice to see someone doing a little math!! I'd love to have 50,000 of some monetary value in my wallet too!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine buying an ice cream for 1,000 anything. What a culture shock, huh? Don't spend all your Colónes all in one place. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mrs. F Thats a whole lot of money for that 50,000 i could get a new house, well in America at least i would like to know how much a house cost in Costa Rica. Ill try some math to find out :) ~marcus

    ReplyDelete
  5. That better be good ice cream to cost that much mulah! That's wayyyy different than here, seems more complicated but i guess that's how they do things. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey i found out how much a house would cost over there but i'm not sure my dad told me that a house in America costs an average of 80,000, so I went and did 80,000 times 550 and was 44,000,000 in Colones, but someone else said that the houses in Costa Rica are a lot cheaper so I don't know if you can could you plz find out :P ~Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heyyy Momma! Bring me some of those Colones and stop spendin em' on ice cream!XD BUY ME A PONY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I just got back from an extended vacation and this is the the first time i've seen your profile and wow, its huge. The pictures are incredible! I really like the video of the alligator. To think I was actually watching a video that my teacher made from South America. Wow! I'm learning so much from the blogs that you post every day and the pictures of the maps and the display of the animals on your site help me understand what the wildlife is like in another country. The foods that the farmers make are not at all like the foods we have up here at all. Well, post some more blogs up. I can't wait to see all the other interesting things you have to post on your site.

    ReplyDelete