Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Preparation

The next few posts will be about how I'm getting ready for this voyage. Due to in-country travel, I can only check-in one piece of luggage, 40 lbs. max! The key is to pack multi-use or mix/match pieces that are preferably light weight.


I will also carry a backpack containing my laptop computer, video camera, digital camera and all the peripherals (portable drives, cables, memory cards, etc.). Our itinerary lists clothing expectations for each activity: nice casual (for visiting schools and the U.S. Embassy, and for a few special dinners), casual (for traveling between communities, visiting museums and universities, tours, and lectures), and outdoors (for walks and hikes in the National Parks, and the homestay).


The trip organizers have also sent a list of items that we must bring, including appropriate hiking shoes, rainjacket and umbrella, hat, head lamp and batteries, sunscreen, bug repellent, personal first aid kit, binoculars, wildlife books, and a journal.



I am also packing gifts for our hosts and the students we will be visiting. In selecting appropriate gifts, I had to remember that I wanted the gifts to represent Maine, be small and light weight (remember, 40 lbs!), and not too expensive, as I wanted to bring enough for all students and teachers we will visit. State Representative Ken Theriault of Madawaska made it possible for me to purchase two different pins: Dirigo Maine and a combination US/Maine flags pins. The Augusta office also threw in a bunch of lobster pins. Martha Lavertu contacted the Maine Potato Board and obtained Maine potato pins. (THANK YOU ALL!)


I have also purchased small samples of Maple syrup, small bags of hard maple drops, and two gift boxes of maple sugar candies for the homestay hosts. I do not intend to haul these back to Maine!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thats a really good idea! I wonder if any of the other teachers thought of doing anything creative like that. I know all the people are going to love your gifts.

    ReplyDelete