Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Practicalities in CR

We will have internet service in some of our hotels and internet cafés, though there will be a cost. I intend to organize my writing, download the photos, etc. off-line, so that when I have internet access, I will be able to cut/paste and attach the files more quickly.

There is one state-owned phone company in Costa Rica (it also provides electricity, internet, and cell service!), called Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad, ICE. I will be purchasing a phone card so that I can call and check in with my family back in Maine.

We will be able to do laundry in a few hotels. (Thank God--I have to travel light!)


Accomodations: I'll be sharing hotel rooms with another teacher, will stay at Earth University, and will have a homestay at Finca La Virgen, a self-sustaining farm where we will learn how chocolate is made beginning from the cocoa seed to the final product. There will be several different homestays for groups of teachers at various farms that produce coffee, bananas, cheese, medicinal plants, teas, livestock, and tilapia (fish). Though all farms sound interesting, I'm quite happy with my assignment! (Note: select colored words in text for links to sites)

No comments:

Post a Comment